I am a young professional so it’s often a challenge live a healthy lifestyle throughout the week, but I feel like I am slowly mastering healthy workday habits.
Here are five little healthy weekday habits of mine:
- Don’t hit the snooze button. This is a challenge I gave myself for 2012. I now spring out of bed every morning when my alarm goes off at 6am. Waking up at 6am every morning gives me the time to do the things I should do every morning like eat breakfast and apply make-up before leaving the house. I feel like a new woman now that I have time to eat a healthy breakfast and apply make-up before heading out the door.
- Sip green tea and water throughout the day. I workout often so it’s really important for me to hydrate all day long. I like drinking water, but my go-to drink at the office is green tea. It helps suppress my appetite until it’s time for me to snack or eat lunch. I used love TAZO zen green tea but now I’m smitten over Yogi green tea blueberry slim life. It’s so good!
- Take the stairs. My office is on the 2nd floor so it’s not like I’m benefitting much from taking the stairs but at least I’m being more active than taking the elevator. I can also get to my office much quicker than riding in the elevator. That thing moves at a snail’s pace.
- Pack lunch and snacks. This is a biggie. Bringing my lunch to work has helped me eat healthier, save money, and free up time. In 2011 I was eating out almost every day. As you can imagine, it’s hard to make healthy choices and even the “healthy” items at restaurants truly aren’t that healthy. I realized I would save a ton of money by packing my lunch plus it saves me time since I don’t have to drive somewhere to pick something up. I used to rush around frantically on my lunch hour but now I enjoy my lunch in the office and actually feel rejuvenated after my brief break from working. If I feel up for it, I typically take a short walk or climb the stairs in our parking deck.
- Take mini breaks. Luckily, I have a job where I’m not usually glued to my desk for eight hours a day but on the days that I am I always find ways to stretch out my legs. I try to get out of my chair at least every hour even if it’s just to grab something off the printer or treat myself to another cup of green tea. I’m also big on walking to my colleague’s desk if I have a question.
I’m sure there a million ways to stay healthy and active during workdays. What are your best tips?